CALL FOR DANCES
You are invited to submit works to be considered for performance. Your dance(s), if accepted, will be placed in one of the 6 programs by the Adjudication Committee. Acceptance will be based on quality of performance and choreography. No one will receive written feedback nor have access to the judges’ adjudication forms. You may, however, request verbal feedback of information on the forms. More than one work from any one school may be accepted for performance.
The Adjudication Form MUST BE RECEIVED by Friday January 20, 2017.
A separate Adjudication Form MUST filled out FOR EVERY DANCE performance for adjudication at the Regional High School Dance Festival at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. More than one work from any one school may be accepted for performance. For schools submitting more than one dance, the form will need to be filled out more than once.
You must provide a link to your video in the Adjudication Form. We WILL NOT accept DVDs or electronic videos via email or Dropbox. Videos should have no identifying information in the video itself or with the video. All videos should present a clear and clean recording of the work and all should have sound and adequate lighting. Do not use cross fades or cuts.
The fee for each performance is $25. Payment for each work adjudicated must be submitted PRIOR to Adjudication. Payment may be made online or sent via Checks/Money Order payable to UW-Madison Dance Department. Checks/money orders must be sent with a Payment Form. No works will be adjudicated without the appropriate fee.
An Adjudication Committee will BLIND REVIEW all works submitted. For integrity purposes, the members of the committee will not be announced until after the Adjudication process is completed.
Schools will be notified of committee decisions no later than Wednesday, February 1, 2017.
Two Showcase concerts and two Gala Concerts, each featuring different programs, will be held on the Friday and Saturday of Festival. The Showcases are tentatively scheduled for 5:00 pm and the Gala Concerts for 8:00 pm at the Memorial Union Theater. These are full-tech concerts.
The Saturday Showcase concert will feature works by faculty and guests (including any reconstructions). Two Informal low- or no-tech Concerts will also be held. These are tentatively scheduled for the 11-12:15 slot on both Friday and Saturday in the Margaret H’Doubler Performance Space on campus.
The Friday Outstanding Student Choreography Concert will feature STUDENT choreographed works. All works selected for this concert will be eligible for the “Outstanding Student Choreography” Award.
ADJUDICATION RULES & GUIDELINES
(please read carefully)
Number of Works
- No more than 5 works may be submitted by any one school.
- If submitting 5 works, at least two of these must be choreographed by a student currently enrolled at your school.
- If no student works are submitted, then you may submit a maximum of 3 works.
- If all works are student works, then you may submit a maximum of 4 works.
- If there is 1 student work, then you may submit a max. of 3 faculty works.
Length of Works
- Faculty/Guest dance works should be 3-12 minutes in length (maximum).
- Student choreographed works should be 3-6 minutes in length (maximum).
Types of Works
- Works submitted must be in one of the following dance idioms: ballet, modern, jazz, hip hop, tap, musical theater, or world dance.
- Choreography may be by a faculty member, guest choreographer, or currently enrolled student.
- Solos may be submitted by student choreographers but only works choreographed for two or more dancers are eligible for the “Outstanding Student Choreography Award.”
- A reconstructed work, where the choreographer is no longer living, may also be submitted. You are responsible for acquiring any permission rights.
- Dancers must be full-time high school students, currently enrolled in grade 9, 10, 11, or 12 at the school submitting the dance(s).
- Works submitted must be a final product, (preferably) in costume, and must be danced by those who will be performing the piece in the Festival.
- If any dancer were to be substituted without the express permission of the committee, the entire work may be disqualified from performance.
- Works previously performed at NHSDF in the last 4 years by your school may not be resubmitted.
- The teacher in charge must verify that any student piece submitted has been choreographed by that student.
- Faculty may have critiqued and given suggestions for improvement to the choreography, but the work must have been created and rehearsed by the student.